Saturday 13 February 2010

John Adams

I absolutely loved the movie, John Adams, based on the biography by David McCulloch. I have such a passion for this time period in American history, and this film just really brought it to life for me. I enjoyed comparing the John Adams I have been taught with how he was portrayed by this particular actor, as well as seeing how certain key phrases were used by the characters to get across very specific messages.

When I learned about John Adams in my early schooling, I was taught that he played a role in the First and Second Continental Congress, that he signed the Declaration of Independence, and that he eventually became the second president of the United States. I also was taught about his relationship with Abigail, and the significance of their faithful correspondence. As far as his personality was concerned, I was taught in eighth grade how he had a very hot temper, was easily offended, and often let this volatile anger get in the way of relations with others. For example, he and Thomas Jefferson, who began as very close friends, quickly became the worst of enemies during their respective presidential terms (although it would be very difficult to have the man you ran against for president serving as your vice president).

Through my reading of the excerpt from McCulloch’s book, information in our text book, and from watching this movie, I was amazed at how I have seemed to slightly overlook just what an incredible impact John Adams had on our nation’s achieving their independence. He was a brilliant man, yet, still a family man as well. I am so impressed with his love for Abigail and in what high esteem he held her and her political opinions. The movie portrayed Adams just as I’ve pictured him: rather small in stature with a round frame, and a quick temper apparent from a face that could turn bright red in an instant.
Watching the movie really helped me get an inside view of his perspective. How frustrating it was for him to try and convince the others to take action. His family was on the very edge of the conflict erupting in Massachusetts and he sought action against Britain but understood the very treason he was committing in even mentioning it. Meanwhile the other delegates were all from diverse backgrounds, different motives, and very different views. His inexhaustible determination to do whatever it would take to convince these other delegates of the necessity for action is truly inspiring.

It was very interesting to watch the development of his relationship with the ever-wise Benjamin Franklin, the reserved yet passionate Thomas Jefferson, and the humble and dependable George Washington. I liked the foreshadowing when Jefferson said he had not spoken because he is not eloquent in speech. Despite this weakness, Adams acknowledged and utilized his remarkable gift of the written word. Watching the movie also helped me to see what our textbook describes of how Adams chose and helped to make Washington general of the Continental Army. I had previously thought it was mostly because of his reputation as a military genius. It was that, and much more. Adams saw the advantage of gaining the support from the other delegates by heavily involving Virginia, the most prominent of the colonies. He also recognized his humility, determination, and willingness to serve.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie. I really feel I have come away with a heightened understanding of the phenomenal process of America achieving her independence from Britain. Truly, men like John Adams were divinely inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment